Lentil Pasta (one of my favorite pre-race dinners)
1) Boiled pasta of your choice – I use penne whole wheat
2) Black lentiles (whole masoor) – boiled with salt
3) 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
4) 1/2 onion chopped
5) Salt & Pepper
6) 1 tomato chopped (optional)
1) Pour olive oil in a saucepan, add garlic and then heat (the aroma gets into the oil)
2) Add onions and pepper powder, sautee for about 4-6 minutes until onions are cooked. Add salt.
3) Add the pasta and lentils and mix well. Add parmesan if needed.
Post-race Homemade smoothie (Recipe courtesy Sharanya Rao)
Blend together 2-3 tablespoons of greek yogurt, 2-4 strawberries, a handful of blueberries, 1 banana, dash of orange juice or fresh oranges with a few cubes of ice. Fantastic!
1. Boil some bulgar and barley with salt; drain and keep aside (about 1/2 cup bulgar and 2-4 tablespoons of barley). towards the end add some frozen peas to thaw/cook partially in the hot water with the grains.
2. Chop onions, red cabbage, tomatoes, and serrano peppers finely. Blanch or steam the red cabbage in the microwave for about 3 minutes – it gets partially cooked but still has the crunch.
3. Dressing: 2 tb olive oil, 1/3 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 clove of chopped garlic, 1 tsp Agave nectar (or honey), 1/2 lemon juice, salt to taste. Beat well together.
4. Mix all the ingredients together. Add the dressing and toss and chill.
This makes a great pre- workout meal or post-workout meal!